Monday, January 25, 2010

Strength to Handle Controversy

As I approach the completion of my 3rd decade on this planet (yeah... I'm that YOUNG), I'm starting to realize that not everyone is going to like me.  I know... its a shocker!  Actually, the shocking part is that it took me nearly 30 years to accept that fact.  I always thought that if you were kind and agreeable, that everyone would just reciprocate with kindness and agreeableness.  But the truth is, that no matter how nice, no matter how kind, no matter how agreeable you are, controversy will come your way. 

The great thing about being a child of God is learning new things about myself everyday.  God has given me the strength to handle situations that I never imagined would come into my life.  Being a child of God doesn't mean that I have to be a doormat.  In fact it gives me the courage and the conviction to stand strong in my beliefs, to speak boldly about what I believe to be true.

As a relatively new mom, I often would be offended by all the unsolicited advice that came my way.  All I would do is walk into a room full of older women, and I would get opinions on everything from what to feed my daughter to how to dress her.  All these comments I would accept with a smile, but inside I would be screaming HOW DARE YOU TELL ME HOW TO RAISE MY BABY.  Of course I never said anything because I didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings or offend someone.  The problem with the silent-smile approach is that it doesn't address the behavior.  As long as I smiled and said nothing, I kept getting unsolicited advice.  It wasn't until I started responding with "thanks, but I know what I'm doing" that the unsolicited comments began to subside.

Of course its important to have some kind of balance.  Responding to unwanted advice, comments, or behavior with a nasty attitude does nothing to help the situation.  I recently realized that God has given me the ability to apply my lawyering talents to myself, to advocate on my own behalf.  While I can clearly and effectively advocate for someone else, it has taken some time to learn how to do so for myself and remain true to what I believe.  But now... I finally feel like I got it:
1.  Being a child of God means loving your fellowman.
2.  Your fellowman doesn't necessarily have your best interest at heart, and that doesn't mean you love them any less.
3.  Loving your fellowman doesn't mean agreeing with your fellowman or allowing your fellowman to walk all over you.
4.  God has already given you everything you need to deal with whatever situation HE may throw your way.
5.  God has not given you a spirit of fear, so speak up and speak out.

No comments:

Post a Comment