Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Networking is easier than you think

Every time we encounter someone new, it is an opportunity to show them who we are, not just what we're qualified to do.  I have resolved to be a good person, someone who follows through, someone who is trustworthy and diligent.  That has nothing to do with the fact that I'm an attorney.  It has everything to do with the fact that I'm striving to be a Saint of the Most High.  If I focus on being a good person, eventually networking opportunities present themselves to me.

I hate networking.  I hate the idea of walking into a room of people I don't know and finding some way to tell them how fabulous I am just in case they might be in the position to give me a job.  That being said... I need a job and networking is really my best weapon to combat my unemployment.

While I hunt for a job, I have been working as temp.  My latest assignment landed me in the position of receptionist in a large nonprofit organization.  I planned to do the job to the best of my ability and just be an all-around pleasant person.  Out of the blue, the woman who was training me asked if I was interested in this work for my career.  I told her no, explaining that I had just become a lawyer.  By the end of the day, the entire agency knew that they had a lawyer answering their phones.  A few asked to see my resume.  I don't know what will come of those inquiries, but I do know that I learned an important lesson.  If I'm the best I can be everyday, eventually someone will take notice, and my career will no longer be in a holding pattern. 

Meanwhile, I chose to believe that I'm stuck in this unemployed holding pattern for a reason.  God, of course, doesn't make mistakes.  I have no idea why He placed me here, or what He wants me to learn.  But the least I can do is keep my eyes and my ears open, and keep my heart in the right place.  As long as I'm a willing vessel He will use me for some good.

No comments:

Post a Comment