Thursday, January 7, 2010

Starting my day off the right way...

I am an emotional eater.  There!  I've said it!  The worst part about being an emotional eater is that you look up one day and wonder how it is that you shrunk all your pants in the dryer.  Well... the pants have not gotten smaller.  I have gotten bigger.   I had no idea that being unemployed  and underemployed was kicking my emotional eating into overdrive.  And then... a few days ago... I stepped on the scale.  Yikes!  Then and there I developed an action plan.

The only way for me to get a good workout in is to get up at 6 AM.  As part of the customs of my church we are supposed to get up at 6 AM and pray The Disciples Prayer (Matthew 6:9-13).  I made a commitment to myself to get up, pray, workout, get my daughter to daycare, and then get myself to my temp job.  For 40 days I will do this.  Today is Day 3. 

On Day 1, my daughter tried to sabotage my efforts.  Normally she is like an alarm clock, waking up between 7 and 7:30 every day of the week.  But that morning she tried to wake up with me at 6.  I was almost immediately discouraged, but closed my eyes and prayed anyway.  By the time I was done praying she was asleep once again.  In any event, I was noticeably more focused throughout the day and was able to put serious effort into my Public Defender application.

On Day 2, I was sore from Day 1's workout, but I pushed through anyway.  Starting my day off with prayer and a workout put me in a great mood.  I am not, nor have I ever been, a morning person. (Ask my poor husband who has had nearly 4 years of dealing with my early morning grumpiness).   But getting up at 6 isn't as hard as I thought.  And the benefits of starting my day off focused on God has put me in the right mindset for the day.  On Day 2, 3 informational interviews practically set themselves up for me.  Being open to God's will in my life and allowing my day to begin with Him increases my likelihood of having a great day.  I find that I'm using my time more efficiently, learning more about myself, and dealing better with situations as they occur.

All of this because I'm starting off my day with a little prayer and exercise.  Who knows... maybe I'll be employed by Day 40.  If it is God's will... I say let it be done!

No comments:

Post a Comment