Thursday, July 22, 2010

Making decisions... and sticking to them

It has been a long time since I have posted.  Life has a way of spiraling out of control.  Thankfully, God always has a way putting things back into perspective.  

Recently I attended a funeral of a woman I never met.  (Side note:  this is not an unusual occurrence for me.  I often end up at funerals of people I have never known.  My husband is a minister, and it comes with the territory.) She was 105 years old when she passed away.  And from what I could tell she was a woman who required excellence from all the people she encountered.  But what struck me most, as I listened to people reminisce and offer condolences was that everyone said the same thing about her.  She made up her mind at 7 years old to become a member of the church, and she persisted in that determination for her entire life.  

I personally cannot remember making a single decision at 7 years old, much less sticking with it for 23 years.  At 7 years old, I wanted to be a lawyer, like Claire Huxtable.  But I must have switched my dream job a million times.  For a while I wanted to be an engineer, thanks to my mom and summer science camp.  I also wanted to be an Egyptologist, due to a life-changing encounter with the Curator of the Egypt wing on the Metropolitan Museum of Art.  I've wanted to be a teacher, a professional student, and a singer (and let me tell you... I cannot sing).  

As an adult and an attorney, it is my job to make decisions.  Last week, the law required me to make a decision that I knew would not be well received.  And no sooner had I issued it, than I received emails questioning the decision, suggesting alternative outcomes, and wondering if the decision could be undone.  Needless to say, I immediately got angry.  Its one thing to question me about something that I don't know, but don't question me on something that I've worked hard to learn and understand. 

That's when I learned something about myself.  I commit in the face of adversity.  Once challenged, I am like a dog with a bone (or my cat with a plastic bag).  I don't let go.  I dig my heels in.  I refuse to allow my decision to be challenged or undermined.  Some call it stubborn.  I call it steadfast.  

When my daughter was first born, I knew nothing about caring for a baby.  I was nervous, scared, and second-guessed everything I did for the first weeks of her life.  It wasn't until I began to get unsolicited advice (and if you've read my blog before you KNOW I how I feel about that!) that I began to be confident in my own decision-making.  This is exactly what I experienced at work.  Now that I've been questioned, I feel confident.  

But there has got to be a better way.  Ideally, I should be confident in my decision-making and committed to my decisions in spite of what other people think or say.  I should have trusted that I am a good lawyer, because I work hard, study hard, and think critically. 

Some people are born with the ability to be confident and committed.  For me, its a journey that I am embarking on.  I need to trust in the knowledge that I am fearfully and wonderfully made.  There's no one like me, and for that reason alone I should hold my head high, square my shoulders, and walk tall (taller than 5'3).  I know it sounds cliche, but sometimes we need to give ourselves a pep talk.  I don't know it all, and I could never learn it all.  There will be times when I'm wrong, when my decisions are overturned, and when my work doesn't get the respect I think it deserves.  But that doesn't change who I am or the worth of my work. I commit today to trust in my God-given abilities.  That's my decision and I'm sticking to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment