Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Dealing With Rejection

Last week I was riding high.  2 interviews in one week.  One of them was a second round interview.  And I just knew in my heart that this job was for me.  I thought I did an excellent job in the interview, showed them my spectacular personality, explained how perfect I was for the job.  And then today, I get a phone call from the Director of Human Resources saying that they no longer have funding for the position. 

I'm trying to not be cynical.  But something inside of me is telling me that they wanted to find some way to soften the blow.  Like they didn't just want to say that they went with the other candidate.  Its nicer to say that they have just decided not to hire anyone at all.  Well, I guess that could be true.  But I have to admit that after an entire year of job-searching, the rejection is starting to take its toll.

Today I sat down and wondered if it was all worth it.  The years of law school.  Those late nights studying and writing paper after paper.  The student loans that are begging to be paid.  That test of sheer will that is called the bar exam.  I overcame all of that... for what?  To be working as someone's assistant? 

Wallowing in sadness and disappointment is always a way to deal with rejection.  But if I stay in that place for too long it becomes counter-productive.  So what I've decided to do is count my blessings.  In spite of my unemployment and underemployment, I haven't had to want for anything.  My husband has been able to be the sole provider for myself and my daughter.  I have a temporary job that is providing some income for my family.  I have a rewarding job in church that I am able to put a lot of time and effort into.  I have a family that loves and supports me through all of this. 

Someone once said trouble ain't gonna last always.  All I can do is keep reminding myself that this time of troubling unemployment will come to an end. 

No comments:

Post a Comment